I found a different pumpkin pie recipe a few weeks ago and it looked delicious so I thought I would try it out! It was the best pumpkin pie I have ever had (besides pumpkin cheesecake) so I thought I would share! This recipe is from that Relish insert in the paper.
Recipe:
The Pie
Recipe:
Topping:
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/ c chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/ c chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
Filling:
1 1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger (i didn't have this but it still tasted great)
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 teaspoon allspice
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp orange finely grated orange rinds
1 (29-ounce) can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
2 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger (i didn't have this but it still tasted great)
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 teaspoon allspice
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp orange finely grated orange rinds
1 (29-ounce) can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
2 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
For the crust, I just used a recipe a friend gave me.
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. The directions say to "blind bake" the pie but I didn't have the pie weights or dried beans to do it so I just baked the crusts until they were firm. Let the crusts cool for 5 minutes before adding filling.
3. Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl:mix with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk well. Pour into pie crusts.
5. Bake pies 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 and continue baking 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on topping. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If fluted edges of crust begin to brown too much, place foil rings or metal pie crust shields over edges during last 15 minutes. Makes 2 pies and serves 16.
*I like pumpkin pie and usually one piece satisfies me for a year but with this pie I have already eaten more pieces than I should! *
P.S. Deidre and the kids also helped in the making of these pies!
2. The directions say to "blind bake" the pie but I didn't have the pie weights or dried beans to do it so I just baked the crusts until they were firm. Let the crusts cool for 5 minutes before adding filling.
3. Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl:mix with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk well. Pour into pie crusts.
5. Bake pies 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 and continue baking 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on topping. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If fluted edges of crust begin to brown too much, place foil rings or metal pie crust shields over edges during last 15 minutes. Makes 2 pies and serves 16.
*I like pumpkin pie and usually one piece satisfies me for a year but with this pie I have already eaten more pieces than I should! *
P.S. Deidre and the kids also helped in the making of these pies!
The Pie


I see 5 more lbs coming my way if I made that pie!
ReplyDelete